Tuesday 30 August 2011

Grilled Corn Avocado Salad

A real simple one today folks. 'Tis the season to eat lots of corn! I'll take it while it lasts. A little while ago, we grilled up some corn on the charcoal bbq. We tend to overdo it a little, just because whenever I see, for example, 6 ears of corn for $1.99, I always feel the need to get my money's worth and by the 6, which we never finish between the two of us. Corn salad is the perfect way to use up the leftovers, without feeling like you're eating the very same thing that same week.



Here's what I put in my corn salad this time (it always changes depending what's in the fridge):

The Salad 

3 ears of corn
1 previously grilled zucchini, chopped into bite size pieces
About 1/4 of a green pepper, roughly diced
1 avocado, roughly diced
1/4 cup or so sliced or diced red onion
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes, halved
a small handful of chopped chives
a small handful of chopped cilantro or parsley (optional- I didn't have any on hand)

The Dressing


2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lime juice
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp red wine vinegar
a few dashes of Tabasco Sauce
plenty of salt and pepper


Dump in all of the chopped ingredients. Carefully chop all of the corn off the ears, and break it up. I don't completely break it up, because I sort of like the rustic look of a few clusters still left whole. 



As with my Greek Salad, I prefer to dump in the dressing ingredients into the bowl, and this is another one that throws the proportions of 3:1 oil and acid out the window... I don't think it's so much that I don't like salads to be oily but more that I like them to be vinegary. 


 There it is, dear readers. Nothing life changing, but it sure is a great, tasty way to use up those leftovers!!!

Have a great day!


2 comments:

  1. That salad looks awesome! So refreshing and I love that you used up leftovers in a new way. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! I love corn! Grilled with a little butter or in a rice salad! Your salad looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete