Thursday 8 December 2011

Chicken Fajitas

So Mediterranean My Way is all about taking the principles of the Mediterranean Diet and putting them in action  in a way that is relevant to my life. Since I am Canadian, and live on the outskirts of one of the best culinary cities in North America, and maybe the World, that means my flavour palate has a really wide range, and includes ingredients from... everywhere! This is my fajita recipe, I usually make it with chicken, but it could certainly be used for pork or beef. It's always a big hit, and you'll definitely never go back to those chemical-laden seasoning packets again.

Servings: Well... Depends how many fajitas you can eat! About 6-ish.


Ingredients:

2 bell peppers
1-2 medium onions
2 lbs chicken breast
1 tbsp chili powder
1-2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
S & P to taste
Optional: a splash of lemon, lime or hot sauce for the end (or a combination of 2)

tortillas
grated Cheddar (the stronger, the better)
thinly sliced lettuce or your choice
sliced avocado or guacamole
sour cream (FULL FAT!)
salsa
hot sauce

Method:

This recipe can be whipped up in under 30 minutes for sure, start to finish. You'll wonder why you've been paying 15-20 bucks a person for ordering them in a restaurant where they come out on one of those smokey skillets that make everyone stare at you in wonder....


Slice up the peppers and onions into nice biggish slices. You want to know they're there when you eat your fajita! Fry them up in a little olive oil in a caste-iron skillet.


Do the same with your chicken breast. Then dump in the dry herbs and spices. Fry it on a medium heat (higher if you're NOT using a caste iron pan). I just want to point out why one would want to use a caste iron frying pan. Take a look at the nice colour it gives the chicken. That's flavour baby. Caste iron is the best for meat. Period.


Serve this all up with the condiments I've listed, but really... it's your fajita! Add whatever you like!



Enjoy! Don't forget a nice glass of wine, something really full bodied with a deep flavour. Think Argentinian or Chilean.

Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim,
    Your Chicken Fajitas look so delicious, I wish I had them sitting in front of me right now. This is a great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they look so delicious!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fajitas!!! looks so yummy! Would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-cookies-and-tasty-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete